Sunday 29 September 2013

Standstill


“I’m so exposed that I’ve hidden myself” – Kate Tempest


Anchor me down to set me free- 

I’m spiraling out of control 
and on to the dole and I’ve got
to keep moving but I want to
be still. Still I keep on keeping
on, putting one foot in front of
the other, pink suitcase in tow 
brimming with everything I know 
of home and – home is just
a foreign word not often heard 
on this interminable fucking road. 

Nine long months from pillar to post 
passing through train stations like -
somebody’s ghost of a lover
or mother, a phantom of what
could be but never what is -
because I don’t stay long enough
to make it stick. 

There’s only room for one if you're 
your whole world in a nutshell. 
No pegs, or cornerstones, just a
wheel-able, durable hard shell 
and five-year warrantee. 
One day I might just fly away
if I haven’t already.  

I crave being still - to take my fill 
of a single view for a few
hours at a time, to standstill 
until tendrils grow from my feet 
and dig down into soil clay stone, 
to turn off my phone and sink
into earth for a bit of peace
and quiet. Not to die just-
to be rooted (to the spot).

I can’t go in for this third culture shit, 
No you can’t have your cake and eat it. 
It’s called no man’s land for a reason, 
and where you’re from and what you stand for 
shouldn’t change with the seasons, or the time zone. 

We all start somewhere, who you are
isn’t up for grabs, so hold on
tight. Once upon a time I peered
into a lover's looking glass 
and saw myself reflected there: 
mirror mirror on the wall- I
am who you say, so don't let me
fall. I got broken and he moved
on to the next one. 
Now I tread more carefully, 
crunching through the snow 
so white of powdered glass.

Somebody stop me- 
Anchor me fast to set me free.
Don’t hold me down, 
but hold me to you, 
hold me tight 
or I’ll slip through you 
and probably get caught in a very tall tree, 
skirts billowing over my head in a feeble 
parody of a parachute. 

Just hold me close 
and make me real, 
let me feel 
my breath bounce 
off your cheek, nose, chin - 
open your eyes 
let me see in. 

Let me gaze in through the window, 
my nose pressed against the pane, 
to remember what home looks like, 
'fore I hit the road again.


No comments:

Post a Comment