Friday 13 September 2013

Blurred lines and spinning tops


For Petronaut,
A post in which I am particularly poncy, and overuse the word ‘and’. 3,2,1, and-

Every once in a while someone tells me about their last two promotions, or the next wedding or christening and I get a little pang. And out come the photos of the last holiday in the South of France, and I do like Pinot Noir, and that villa does look lovely. And on the other side of the sliding door my mardy doppelganger tugs the cord tied from my rib cage to hers, and sends pulses down the line, they say: ‘could have been you’, ‘you’re being left behind’. Old friends that have continued on a path whilst you, perhaps, have veered off into the woods and lost track of which track you were supposed to be following, but this is alright, and ooh, climbed a tree, but then spied the finish line and remembered it was supposed to be a race, ‘how much? yes, very reasonable, out of season, well, of course.’ And then I square my shoulders, look myself straight in the eye and sing ‘no, we can’t all be climbing ladders and building Roman roads up and down and forwardforwardforward. Some of us spin, like moons and planets, we ping from one thing to the next, and gravity isn’t up or down, it’s here or there, to me to you; but it’s still onward and I’m here and it’s alright. I am alright.’

And just as often, I meet other galactic travellers orbiting in the black: making it up as we bob along. And we reach into the vacuum and dance in the darkness. And sitting round our cosmic campfires, we never fail to acknowledge the songlines ringing through us: making us yearn for the straight and narrow: despite all of our travelling the ‘trajectory less travelled’, or just not getting-our-act-together. And in those moments of intimacy with my fellow vitanauts, I feel, truly, weightless. All burden is lifted in the moments we admit (with tears glassing our eyes and wine filling our glasses) that though we love the open road, and wide open spaces, there is still a designated space in our hearts for hearth and ‘home’. And maybe I could raise chickens. But then it is time for the packing of suitcases and count down to lift off.

Recently, ageing has felt a lot like vertigo. It’s just a number, and each year you press the button, plug in a different decimal and hardly notice that you ascend a little higher, until ‘JESUS MARY AND HOLY ST JOSEPH THERE’S NOTHING TO HOLD ON TO’. The Voyager 1 just left our solar system, and the earth shattering thing is, it’s the furthest anything stamped with human fingerprints has ever been posted. I’m not about to tell you that turning 30 is like standing at the edge of the solar system, except, if for a light year you imagine the world revolves around you, then it is, a bit. There’s something simultaneously thrilling and melancholic about passing out of our twenties - the line we’re about to cross is only a line because it divides what we know, or thought we knew, and what we’re about to find out. For now, everything you know is behind you, at your back, willing you onward. Here we go humanity, the baggage we’ve got now is coming for the long haul, the grooves in that record are deep, this is the song we have chosen to sing, so lets sing it loud or not at all, set the compass needle and let it spin baby, let’s spin.

I bloody love you Petronaut. See you when you next touch down. And, happy bloody birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment