Monday 16 September 2013

I choose lofty spires. And Chaka Khan


Oh help. For a brief, but serious moment today, I considered online dating. Two things stopped me:  pride, and the (not-entirely unfounded) belief that most of the men I have ever dated/aborted relationships with/known, are already there, waiting to be ‘harmoniously matched’ with my profile in a brutal twist of fate/inevitability/act of God known as the ‘muhahaha’.
And come to think of it, thirdly: Cupid might be a nefarious little dickhead with a ‘GSOH’ and an arsenal, but I’ve always believed he struck in truly candid moments - when our guards are down and our egos are on coffee breaks. That’s how you let love in, I thought; you let yourself be seen, truly seen in all of your flawed vulnerability, and you pray that understanding and recognition fan into the beginnings of ‘something’.
If we’re all little independent shops, with wares to sell to the world, there are plenty of things we put in the window to entice passersby. Bunting perhaps, a well-placed teapot, a suggestively tasseled lampshade. But inevitably, there are things that make it into the window we don’t consciously place there: a gurning clown mask of social clumsiness, the dusty old jewellery box of long-ago-loves that still manage to get us dancing to their haunting tunes, bogeys. And in the tactile hustle and bustle of the high street, all of these things are on show, and available to touch and hold (but once broken, considered sold).
In virtual second lives we can be who we want to be, or worse, who we think we should want to be. Stay with me, I know, these cyber projections can be just as revealing of the real life bogeymen feeding the reel, (if you know where to look in their Microsoft shop windows), but gone is the dragging of coat tails and the smell of adrenaline. I’m no die-hard romantic, but every dalliance I’ve had, good bad, or unpublishable have all arisen (not a euphemism) from some conscious decision I made. To go to that party, to take that job, to queue for body paint at four in the morning; (his name was Darcy, I kid you not, on a beach in Thailand - no white shirt, but you can’t have everything).
I’m going to have to smash the metaphor here, because I can’t get my head round ‘window shopping for soulmates’ Guardian or otherwise.

I, like hordes of women before me, wanted to be Bridget Jones. I wanted to be Bridget Jones because I wanted her flat, and her job, her friends and her nineties London lifestyle. (I grew up in Singapore, and the idea of a poky flat in London had for me, all the romance of a gothic spire). And to top it all off, despite all the fags and the booze and the misery – which, with all that disarming ‘British humour’ ends up looking quite fun - she got her Mr Darcy. Not a metaphor, an actual Mr Darcy (Colin Firth, squared). 

Recently the scales have fallen from my eyes, although so far I’m not hiding any under my clothes. I’ve noticed I’m getting perilously close to the tipping point into singular singleness at every table I sit at. In every room I enter, all the good ones are taken and the rest have been taken in ways you don’t want to remember, or worse, they remember that night you got really drunk on sambuca and nearly took someone’s eye out on the dancefloor.
And that’s fine, fun, even - I don’t mean in a hair-twirling, prick-teasing ‘fun’ kind of way, that way psychosis lies. (I can’t keep from calling a spade a shovel even when sober, so you can be sure that on a date – and for ‘on a date’, read, ‘after several large gins’ - there ain’t no chance I’ve got any ‘gee mister, how’dja get all that clever stuff to fit in your head’ going spare). No, I just mean I have good friends and none of them have tried to set me up with ‘Clive from Accounts’. For which I am very grateful. 
And up until recently, say, yesterday, holding court was just dandy. ‘Why not settle down with a well balanced main course m’lady? implores my world weary inner-butler. ‘What, whilst the buffet car is still serving?’ I trill, and swan off down the carriage for another vol au vent. A word about vol au vents – they’re full of hot air, and if you’re unlucky, crab paste. 
 
The point is not, that I am single, but that I now notice that I'm single. And for the most part I find myself becoming everything I wished for: typing this diary in an (albeit borrowed) flat in London, pursuing my career in penniless glee, with legions of smack-the-pony-and-blow-me-down-with-a-feather brilliant friends standing by, ready to rush in with gin at the drop of a proverbial pillbox. Enter Mr Darcy right? Emerging from the cyberlake, white shirt plastered to his alabaster profile? Or in terrible knitwear, captioned ‘let’s see what happens’. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman, in possession of good fortune, must be in want of a - "

Not this time, dear reader, for now, I’ll hang onto my stubborn whimsy of taking life as it comes. For now I will resist being ‘saved’ from the perils of impending spinsterhood by ‘click-and-collect’ knights in silicon armour. This beige box in Islington is not a tower: it is a spire, my spire. For now, I like me, just the way I am. 

**Just realised Bridget is back, single and onlinebloodydating. Fuck it Fielding, just when I thought I had a handle on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment