Sunday 8 September 2013

What do I know?


This week I’ve had a blast at ARC, helping the dynamic duo at Encounter Productions with R&D for their next show ‘On Knowledge’. I also had three meetings that have challenged me to question what kind of artist and member of the community I want to be. It has been a week of visceral improvisations on uncertainty. And some actual dancing with actual contemporary dancers. You didn’t need to know that, but now that you’ve got the image of me attempting contemporary dance firmly lodged in your cortex, here are some things I ‘know’ at the end of this week:

1)            I will never use ‘through the medium of contemporary dance’ as a punchline ever again.
2)            Inarticulacy can sometimes communicate more than all the words in my head.
3)            That what I perceive as being ‘limited’ to physicality is in fact liberation to an entirely new vocabulary. And one that I want to be better versed in.
4)            Psychotherapy training is annoyingly attractive as the next method to extend my capacity for debt.
5)            The A19 is better suited to canal boats than cars.
6)            Knowledge is the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning. It’s always personal. 
7)            I am making my first solo show.
8)            I don’t know what that will look like. I do know what it will be about.
9)            I have not written a script, I have written ‘material for development’.
10)         Not knowing is productive. Answering questions before I’ve properly asked them is not: back to the drawing board do not pass GO, do not collect £200.
11)       Grant for Arts applications are long. COMMUNITY CHEST  Advance to GO, collect £200.

12)          There’s no more red wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment